Turkey Hunting

This forum is intended for those who would like to discuss anything to do with hunting

Moderators: AnnonyMouse, admin, Mike in CT, itshot

Forum rules
The Hunters Campfire discussion forums are PRIVATELY owned and operated. Requests to be given member access to post and participate are at the sole discretion of the forum administrators, and NOT a right. Forum administrators may grant, deny, or revoke forum access for any reason as desired. In cases where forum access is denied or revoked no explanation by forum administrators will be required. This must be understood and accepted prior to registering for forum access.
Mint

Turkey Hunting

Post by Mint »

Turkey hunting opens on May 1st in New York. I hunt public land in the Catskills about 3 1/2 hours from where I live on Long island so it is always an adventure. Last year the motels were closed so I left my house at 1:30am and since we can only hunt to noon I'd be home by 3:30pm or so. This year I'm hoping to hunt both Saturday and Sunday and stay over Saturday night in a local B & B.

Who else plans on turkey hunting this season or who has already hunted so far?

HA/KS

Re: Turkey Hunting

Post by HA/KS »

I just can't imagine living in a place with such restrictive hunting regulations.

Turkey season is April 14 - May 31 this year. You can hunt 7 days a week and will likely never see another hunter on some of the public lands. I think you are limited to 2 tags, though.

JTV

Post by JTV »

I was out yesterday AM on one of my draw hunts, went to where I got last years bird. ... had one gobbling east of me across a creek.... he flew down and went away from me... that was it ... was going to go this morning but was so tired after getting off work the evening before at midnight... I just couldnt do it ... I went back to sleep I still have 4 days left, but it looks like a few of those may be rained out ..... we to have to stop at noon ..
"Liberalism IS a Mental Disorder"
"When 'science' cant be questioned, it is propaganda" ....

JTV

Post by JTV »

I only got out one more time .... had a Tom gobbling about 100 yds out in front of me in the woods, I didnt put out decoys as I was afraid of being seen doing so, so I sat down in front of a big oak (I wear leafy ASAT for Turkey) .. I tree called softly and he answered, so he knew I was there ... a hen flew down and landed 20 yds in front of me, she started purring, clucking, scratching the leaves, she came to within 10 yds, never knew I was there ... the tom flew down and stayed about 50-60yd out with the 3 other hens that flew down with him .... I couldnt call 'cause the hen was so close.... the Tom and the other hens went off thru the woods, the hen by me followed them, I stayed there for over an hour .... the wind really picked up and shut everything down ... nothing else heard or seen ... that was it, the Turkeys won this season ..
"Liberalism IS a Mental Disorder"
"When 'science' cant be questioned, it is propaganda" ....

HA/KS

Post by HA/KS »

"the Turkeys won this season"

Not really. You won because you were out there early and spent time that you very much enjoyed. You can always buy a turkey in the store (I know, I know but the truth is that if it is just the turkey meat you do have that option).

Mint

Post by Mint »

I went four times and heard gobbles each and everyday so that was a plus. I heard a tom gobbling to a crow call on Friday and knew he was in some open woods surrounded by a rockwall. Last time they just wouldn't come over the wall so this time I made my way and crawled over the wall without being seen and got set. Gave a few soft calls and he went crazy. Full strut at eighty yards his head blue, white and red blazing in the sun. Unfortunately I could only get him to come into about 65 yards and I didn't shoot. after ten minutes of him not budging I tried some cackling but he stood his ground looking. After not seeing any hen he walked off. I made a bee line in a big circle to try and cut him off but no luck. I was able to get out yesterday and set up where he was displaying but no luck.

That looks like it is it for me this season since I've got a tenant moving into a rental house I own June 1st and I just finished painting the apartment and now I need to refinish the hard wood floors. It was a great season even though I didn't get a bird.