Deer Season Preparation

This forum is intended for those who would like to discuss anything to do with hunting

Moderators: AnnonyMouse, admin, Mike in CT, itshot

Forum rules
The Hunters Campfire discussion forums are PRIVATELY owned and operated. Requests to be given member access to post and participate are at the sole discretion of the forum administrators, and NOT a right. Forum administrators may grant, deny, or revoke forum access for any reason as desired. In cases where forum access is denied or revoked no explanation by forum administrators will be required. This must be understood and accepted prior to registering for forum access.
Will

Re: Deer Season Preparation

Post by Will »

Frank - thanks for the reminder to check out XOP, I just did to refresh myself and they are sweet. It makes me consider just buying one as an in case or situational stand... Thanks for that. For 179 and only 10#, that's pretty solid!
"The goal is not to be better than the other man, but your previous self" -- Dalai Lama
"If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

JTV

Post by JTV »

Frank, my birthdays stopped at 39 ..... :roll: :mrgreen: ..... I refuse to get old, I just wish my body went with that saying ...
"Liberalism IS a Mental Disorder"
"When 'science' cant be questioned, it is propaganda" ....

Frank S

Post by Frank S »

You are still a stud Jeff, as are most Marines! Semper Fi bud.
"It was an uncommon time, there were uncommon challenges, and God, Dear God, I tried to be an uncommon man."

kcm270

Post by kcm270 »

Oh, since my stress fractured right knee is healing slowly, all I need are the GPS locations for Frank's six stands. :)

Frank S

Post by Frank S »

"It was an uncommon time, there were uncommon challenges, and God, Dear God, I tried to be an uncommon man."

old school

Post by old school »

I’ve got 2 more stands to hang. Last year we “discovered” a great spot on the property we hunt. A small 5 acre patch of oaks that we drive past on our way to our stands. Need to get a stand in there - sooner rather than later. Maybe Saturday.

NvaGvUp

Post by NvaGvUp »

I've only got one hunt left this year and it's a rifle elk hunt in WY.

That might be my last hunt ever as I've lost my passion for it all and refuse to kill an animal simply because I have a tag or can get a tag.

I guess I'm simply burned out. I'm being told by people who know more than I do, that's fairly common for a guy at my age.

I've got a lot of incredible critters on my walls, way more than I ever dreamed of. Oddly, ALL of the best ones were taken with a bow, believe it or not.

So other than wanting wild game in my freezers, I have little or no motivation at this time.
Last edited by NvaGvUp on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

old school

Post by old school »

Kyle - I feel the same way about whitetails and turkeys. Killed more than I can remember. That’s why it’s mid August and I still haven’t put up the stands that I know need to be done. Just not real motivated.

Still waiting on my first archery elk and that’s what I really enjoy now. I’m not able to head west this year, but I’m hoping 2021 is the year for my first archery elk.

NvaGvUp

Post by NvaGvUp »

Last year I had four hunts on the books.

The first one was a CA DBHS tag I drew and I was lucky enough to tag a terrific ram early in the morning on Day Two. That hunt was in mid-August.

In September, I had an archery elk tag in a really good unit in AZ.

I hunted three days, then decided I didn't want to hunt any more, so drove home. The outfitter lobbied me hard to return, but I declined.

In November last year, I once again drove 1,995 miles to Eastern IL where I'd hunted three times previously, including taking my best Whitetail ever right off the bat in 1996.

Yet last year, when I rolled out of bed the morning the hunt was to start, I realized I really didn't want to hunt, so got in my truck and drove 1,995 miles home without hunting a lick.

I also had a high dollar Navajo Nation deer tag in my pocket which I'd bought at auction. I hired an outfitter and gave him the 50% deposit, but then bailed because my heart just wasn't into it.
Last edited by NvaGvUp on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

itshot
Site Admin

Post by itshot »

in the same boat but for far different reasons, all i can say is i know the feeling

really looking forward to a re-spark in interest one day