Deer Season Preparation

This forum is intended for those who would like to discuss anything to do with hunting

Moderators: AnnonyMouse, admin, Mike in CT, itshot

Forum rules
The Hunters Campfire discussion forums are PRIVATELY owned and operated. Requests to be given member access to post and participate are at the sole discretion of the forum administrators, and NOT a right. Forum administrators may grant, deny, or revoke forum access for any reason as desired. In cases where forum access is denied or revoked no explanation by forum administrators will be required. This must be understood and accepted prior to registering for forum access.
Two Feathers

Re: Deer Season Preparation

Post by Two Feathers »

Our archery deer season opened last Saturday and I made it out. All I can say is I'm a long way from "predator mode".

old school

Post by old school »

My son and I went out last Thr to trim a few shooting lanes and hang one last stand. We both got into the seed ticks. Not exaggerating when I say we both had over 3-400 of them on us and no duct tape in the truck - a long 2 hr drive back home till we could get them off. I’m ready for a hard freeze before I venture back out to the woods.

JTV

Post by JTV »

whats bad around here are the friggin' eye/cattle gnats .. I checked a half dozen stand locations last Fri. and the damn things were around my head by the dozens ... they go straight for the eyes ... nasty buggers, bug spray wont stop em ... ... very few skeeters 'cause its been so dry, as for ticks, I spray down heavily with Sawyers, they aint a problem then .. ... I'll make one last walk thru on that State area this Fri to switch cards on a cam, and check another half dozen locations, then I'm done there till I start hunting in Oct. ... it all depends on the weather/coolness .... another State area closer to home I'll check on the 25/26th, switch cards on two cams then stay off that place till Nov. 23rd as I have been drawn in for 3 weeks starting then and Dec. ... heck, I may be tagged out by then .. :roll:
Last edited by JTV on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Liberalism IS a Mental Disorder"
"When 'science' cant be questioned, it is propaganda" ....

HA/KS

Post by HA/KS »

Old School, I never go out unless I am wearing treated clothing (at least my pants).

The only ticks I have seen since I started this was when I took a short walk through some grass at a state lake in my street clothes. Not worth the risk of never being able to eat meat again, or some other disease that is death or makes me wish I was dead.

https://www.insectshield.com/

old school

Post by old school »

I used to spray my clothes with permethrin and then hang them out to dry - that’s been probably 20 yrs ago. I stopped because I was concerned with absorbing that chemical as I sweated. I’m rethinking that now with the abundance of ticks we seem to be encountering the past 2-3 yrs. I may go back to spraying my clothes. I’ve got over 100 tick bites just on my legs. Nasty little buggers.

Mitch

HA/KS

Post by HA/KS »

Get your clothes treated. If it won't come out with 70 washings it won't come out with a little sweat.

As far as that goes, why are you sweating when you hunt (except maybe doves)?

old school

Post by old school »

Back when I was treating my clothes I don’t think they had the 70 wash cycles yet. I treated it myself and I think it was only good for a few washes.

As far as temps. Early bow season it is regularly in the mid 80’s and sometimes in low 90’s. I sweat just being in the treestand.

Two Feathers

Post by Two Feathers »

Well my self-bow hunt never happened. My selfbow and primitive arrows went up in flames in our Sept Fire. I now have a replacement selfbow but it's not the same not having made it myself. I hit "predator mode" in late December. I'm still bow hunting for a mature buck.

Two Feathers

Post by Two Feathers »

Today our bowhunting here in Wisconsin in the metro zone ended. Outside the metro zones the season ended Jan 3rd. My goal of taking a mature buck with my stickbow didn't happen. Tonight I had 7 antlerless and one young buck in front of me and no shot taken. I launched one arrow this season and put one deer in the freezer. We have no shortage of venison as my mentees put 7 deer in the freezer. It won't be long and I will begin preparation for the 2021 season. Looking forward to it.

JTV

Post by JTV »

I should be out coyote hunting/deer scouting for next season, but cant due to work right now ... After all the pressure I saw in this past season, I need to try and find new undisturbed honey holes, several at least ...... if there is ever such a thing on public lands .....
"Liberalism IS a Mental Disorder"
"When 'science' cant be questioned, it is propaganda" ....