Mentoring

This forum is intended for those who would like to discuss anything to do with hunting

Moderators: AnnonyMouse, admin, Mike in CT, itshot

Forum rules
The Hunters Campfire discussion forums are PRIVATELY owned and operated. Requests to be given member access to post and participate are at the sole discretion of the forum administrators, and NOT a right. Forum administrators may grant, deny, or revoke forum access for any reason as desired. In cases where forum access is denied or revoked no explanation by forum administrators will be required. This must be understood and accepted prior to registering for forum access.
Mike in CT
Site Admin

Mentoring

Post by Mike in CT »

A few months ago I was on the CT Conference of the Bowsite and saw a poster who was clearly new to bowhunting and who was asking the kinds of questions newbies do; sadly, one poster decided giving him a hard time was the proper course. I PM'd the poster and offered first my support for how he was treated and then asked if lived anywhere near the NW corner of CT (where I live) as I'd be happy to help him in any way I could.

He got back to me right away, thanked me for the offer and as luck would have it he lived only about 15 minutes away from me! I asked him what he'd like help with, where he'd really like to start. He replied, "pretty much everything ! what to look for, how to identify trees, mast, forage, etc." I told him I could show him about a half-dozen spots on state land that receive almost no pressure in bow season but hold a good number of deer and some nice bucks. He was happy to accept the invite and we started heading out and over the next few months I took him out about 5 times.

As we were walking in I tried showing him what to look for, how to spot deer trails, bedding areas and when we found things like an area with a good deal of droppings and of different ages I stopped and told him that this was a great sign as it indicated deer frequented this area. I pointed out that at times you can find droppings and think you've found "the spot" but it may be a travel path a deer or a couple of deer happened to take that day and one they might not visit for weeks again, if ever. When we found good food sources I pointed these out and told him we would walk the perimeter and I explained that having found a food source it was important to look for entry and exit trails as you could backtrack these and find where the deer were bedding. I then explained that when you know where the "hotel" is and where the "restaurant" is you can set up at various places in between to put yourself in good position to have an opportunity to arrow a deer.

I pointed out that it was also important to know where the deer bed and how they approach the food source as you need to hunt in the right wind. To say he soaked up these bits of information is an understatement! He would text me when he went back to these spots on his own and show me pictures of things he found and ask if these were what I had shown and talked to him about-I told him he was definitely "getting it" and he has continued scouting and learning the property and it is such a great feeling to hear the excitement in his voice, especially when he talks of how he can't wait to get out in the fall.

The times he told me how much what I was doing meant to me and how much time I gave him I told him of a mentor I had many years ago who asked only one thing of me-pass it on at every opportunity to someone who clearly wanted to learn.

With everything that seems to be going wrong in the world today I thought I'd share a story of how hunting can make things seem so right. I can't wait to see him with a deer he's taken on one of those properties this fall; honestly I think I'm more excited for his season than mine!

Happy trails to all!

Frank S

Re: Mentoring

Post by Frank S »

Great story Mike, thanks for sharing! I wish a guy like you was available when I first started, and was willing to help. It took me a long time as I had no clue, arguably some will say I still don't. :D

You start out wanting to give, but usually you end up receiving as well. That feeling you have inside right now is wonderful. Keep it up Mike, and let us know how he does this season, please.
"It was an uncommon time, there were uncommon challenges, and God, Dear God, I tried to be an uncommon man."

K Cummings

Post by K Cummings »

Very nice Mike.

KPC

HA/KS

Post by HA/KS »

Very nice. Made me reflect on how blessed I was to have a good bowhunting mentor.

My dad was my hunting mentor when it came to things like ethics and general wildlife information, but he was a casual gun hunter with no interest in or expertise for bowhunting who had never hunted whitetails.

I should add that this is exactly the Mike I thought I knew.

itshot
Site Admin

Post by itshot »

great stuff!

kcm270

Post by kcm270 »

I am not surprised. Kudos, Mike!

Will

Post by Will »

Well done Mike - that's awesome!

I had a similar experience this past year. We almost moved, and the home inspector, a younger guy, was looking to start hunting, so we chatted and I took him scouting similar to you and shared some public land spots. He was super grateful and it's going to be exciting to see him get a deer at some point.

Taking the time to do what you did, it feels hard as we are all so darn buys today. BUT, it's also extremely beneficial to hunting long term. Kudo's to you man! Well done!
"The goal is not to be better than the other man, but your previous self" -- Dalai Lama
"If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

BIGHORN

Post by BIGHORN »

When I was in the hospital in about 2005 or 2006 with a breathing problem that just about ended my life I drew a Bighorn ram tag. I had lost just about all my muscle mass and didn’t know what to do. Then, I received a call from someone that I didn’t even know offering his services to help me get back in the mountains to regain my strength again. It turned out that he would become one of my very good friends. You guys know him as bad karma. To me he is Kevin. He will always be welcome in my home!

BIGHORN

Post by BIGHORN »

I have a new neighbor that has two sons and a daughter. Robbie is new to hunting and so are his young sons. I have been giving him plenty of reading material and loaning them my equipment. After their first trip elk hunting they found out that it gets cold at night. So, I gave them two of my cold weather sleeping bags to keep them warm at night. The boys have been coming over during the winter when it snows and shovels my walk and driveway. They refuse to take money for their services. Since I am 75 years old there is a lot of things that I don't need anymore. I gave Robbie a chainsaw and an extendable tree trimmer. There are lots of other things but I enjoy helping them get into the hunting and fishing (fly tying equipment). Duck hunting is coming up soon and Robbie wants me to go with him again. The last time I kidded with him when a mallard came over him and he emptied his gun but never got it. So far, he has never kill anything but his time is coming. His oldest boy earned his Eagle Scout badge when he was 13. We are lucky to have them as neighbors!

HA/KS

Post by HA/KS »

Thank you Bighorn. This is a great thread.