Mentoring

This forum is intended for those who would like to discuss anything to do with hunting

Moderators: AnnonyMouse, admin, Mike in CT, itshot

Forum rules
The Hunters Campfire discussion forums are PRIVATELY owned and operated. Requests to be given member access to post and participate are at the sole discretion of the forum administrators, and NOT a right. Forum administrators may grant, deny, or revoke forum access for any reason as desired. In cases where forum access is denied or revoked no explanation by forum administrators will be required. This must be understood and accepted prior to registering for forum access.
Mike in CT
Site Admin

Re: Mentoring

Post by Mike in CT »

Great job Merle and thanks for sharing your stories! We do indeed have a great community here and it's a breath of fresh air in these times to be sure!

Mike in CT
Site Admin

Post by Mike in CT »

Exciting update from my protege; he sent me this photo of a nice buck his trailcam captured on a trail going to a swamp. I've advised him to wait until early Nov to sit this stand site as that buck beds in that swamp and that trail winds through some thick cover and goes into a nice stand of white oaks. For CT this is a really good buck with great mass. I wish I could see more of his rack but the mass is great and it looks like he's got some nice long main beams too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my friend puts an arrow in this one!
Attachments
Good buck.jpeg
Good buck.jpeg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 663 times

Mint

Post by Mint »

Very nice Mike. I was lucky that I found a fellow stickbow shooter that was all to happy to mentor me in the ways of bowhunting since he learned everything from his Dad. I try to help the newbies in my archery club and we even have a Bowhunting committee of members that love to help everyone that asks. It sure makes a big difference keeping these people involved in bowhunting because on Long island a lot of bowhunters you meet are so afraid of you ruining "their" public spot they aren't very friendly. I help people every year track their wounded deer and once they find out that you aren't there to steal their spot they turn out to be ok guys.

Two Feathers

Post by Two Feathers »

Last Saturday and Sunday we had our youth hunt here in Wisconsin and I got to take out my grandson. Saturday he got a doe. We went back out Sunday afternoon and he got another doe. He said he would never forget this year's youth hunt.

Two Feathers

Post by Two Feathers »

I'm pretty sure my mentoring for this year has ended. My Mentees did well. Gabe the older grandson mentee shot 6 deer. 4 with gun and two with bow including is first antlered buck with a bow. My youngest grandson mentee, Isaiah went on his first ever hunt and gun shot his first ever deer. The best part was teaching him to shoot. We used a dummy round and did a bunch of dry firing learning to breath, relax and squeeze. The first time with a live round he jerked. He knew he did and that was the last he did. I think it was anticipation of recoil. Between the 3 of us we have 8 in the freezer and I'm still bow hunting with a buck tag.