Summer Sausage

This forum is intended for those who would like to discuss anything to do with hunting

Moderators: AnnonyMouse, admin, Mike in CT, itshot

Forum rules
The Hunters Campfire discussion forums are PRIVATELY owned and operated. Requests to be given member access to post and participate are at the sole discretion of the forum administrators, and NOT a right. Forum administrators may grant, deny, or revoke forum access for any reason as desired. In cases where forum access is denied or revoked no explanation by forum administrators will be required. This must be understood and accepted prior to registering for forum access.
Mint

Summer Sausage

Post by Mint »

I made my first batch of Summer Sausage a couple of days ago and it came out great. I used 15lbs of wild hog meat, 5lbs of wild hog fat and 5lbs of venison. I used excalibur's BBQ Habanero seasonings which I ordered from Waltons. I followed their recipe they have posted but i chose to not use citric acid and just let the meat sit over night. I used my Kamado Joe smoker for one batch to start off and then finished in the oven. Had a tough time keeping the kamado joe under 175 degrees since my fire box is cracked ( kamado joe guarantees for life so I sent them a picture and the same day they sent me a replacement )and that was letting in air. I was a little worried since some fat was dripping out but they came out amazing. I did another batch strictly in the oven and they came out the same way.

I'm going to make another batch in the next couple of weeks, does anyone have a suggestion for a different seasoning that they really like?

HA/KS

Re: Summer Sausage

Post by HA/KS »

Sounds great! I love summer sausage, but the habanero might be too hot for me.

We had venison roast mac and cheese for supper.

I cooked the roast in the Instapot with some water, fresh ground black pepper, and a couple of beef bouillon cubes. I then cooked the pasta in the water that the roast cooked in.

I used extra sharp cheddar, queso blanco, and cojack cheeses. It tastes great.

Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I love making sausages. A good book is , Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. By Rytek Kutas also http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm

K Cummings

Post by K Cummings »

"Hot sticks" are our favorite and we use 100% ground venison. Never much liked the pork and fat added but to each their own.

If anyone would like to try them, here is the recipe. (for those of us that like them hot, we add red pepper flakes to taste)
1-sausage recipe.jpg
1-sausage recipe.jpg (72.06 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Start with the seasoned ground venison.
1-sausage  5.jpg
1-sausage 5.jpg (153.69 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Using a sausage shooter, we squeeze them out onto cookie sheets.
1-sausage shooter.jpg
1-sausage shooter.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 596 times
continued...

K Cummings

Post by K Cummings »

Bake for the appropriate time.
1-sausage.JPG
1-sausage.JPG (104.12 KiB) Viewed 595 times
Let cool and enjoy.
1-Hot sticks.jpg
1-Hot sticks.jpg (182.63 KiB) Viewed 595 times
They freeze well but in all honesty, they don't last long around here.

:lol:

KPC

Mint

Post by Mint »

Thanks for the link whitey.

Looks good KC.

Next up is cotto salami made from wild hog.
Attachments
IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 570 times

HA/KS

Post by HA/KS »

Looks good.